PITTSFORD, VT – A YouCaring fundraising effort with a $20,000 goal was launched today in the wake of an early morning fire Saturday that heavily damaged the home and motorcycle collection of Lloyd “Bud” Provin, operator of The Nickwackett Garage, a well-known shop that specializes in servicing BMW and Triumph motorcycles.
No one was hurt in the blaze, but six recent and vintage BMW and Triumph motorcycles were charred and melted. Among the motorcycles damaged were a BMW K1200RS, BMW K1, BMW R100S and BMW K1100RS, two Triumph Tridents and 1973 Rickman.
Tom Hooker, chief of the Pittsford Fire Department, told the “Rutland Herald” newspaper that the call came shortly after midnight and that the blaze began “as a chimney fire that worked its way into the garage and then the house.” Route 7 was closed for four hours. Four other fire departments provided mutual aid, the newspaper reported.
Escaping from the house were Provin and his partner, Sue Giotta, and their two cats, JJ and Nelsen. The newspaper suggested that the fire scene was initially confusing and quoted Hooker saying that Giotta “…was able to get out and she thought he (Provin) was still there. He was out trying to get the motorcycles out of the garage.” Giotta’s car was destroyed.
The Nickwackett Garage dates back to the 1920s and once sold BMWs and Triumphs. Provin’s father and grandfather preceded him in owning the business. Provin has been a mechanic for more than 30 years and once worked for Bob’s BMW in Maryland. He has run The Nickwackett Garage since 2008 following the death of his father a year earlier.
The fundraising effort was started by Jeffrey A. Guntert and had already received pledges of $6,235 from 68 people as of mid-afternoon today. The YouCaring page notes that Provin’s goal is to restore the damaged motorcycles. “Bud as always is optimistic and wants to restore all of them, which will take lots of time and money,” the page stated.
RIDE-CT & RIDE-NewEngland has phoned and emailed Provin seeking additional information.